• [ANSI] Re: [ANSI] Trump o

From halian@VERT/ABINARY to Gamgee on Friday, August 09, 2024 16:20:00
    People are taught lies and they are taught to be ignorant at all ages

You are living proof of this, for sure.

Every conservative accusation is a confession.

Solar can't provide 100% of our energy needs as long as clouds exist.

[ableist slur redacted]

I know your parents raised you better than to talk like that.

That's why we have to supplement it with wind, etc.

The best solution (seriously) is Nuclear, and has been for decades.

I respectfully disagree that it's the *best* solution, on the grounds that the waste has to be dealt with for a disproportionately long time after it's generated. But it *is* a better solution than fossil fuels.

-̹ƒlian

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A49 2024/05/29 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: Archaic Binary * bbs.archaicbinary.net
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to HALIAN on Saturday, August 10, 2024 10:55:00

I respectfully disagree that it's the *best* solution, on the grounds that the >waste has to be dealt with for a disproportionately long time after it's >generated. But it *is* a better solution than fossil fuels.

For a few years now, some companies have been experimenting with using the waste as a fuel source until it is no longer radioactive. Because most
    people hear "nuclear" and are turned off by that, I don't know how far
    those experiments have gone.

PBS's "Nova" had an episode about it a few years back. The episode also included mention of an experiment with a reactor in Idaho that would shut itself down before a potentially out-of-control reaction could become
    critical. The experiment was a success but, unfortunately for those
    conducting it, it happened on or very near the same day as the Chernobyl disaster.

* SLMR 2.1a * Procrastination Day Has Been Postponed!
    ---
    þ Synchronet þ CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANTIR to halian on Sunday, August 11, 2024 15:27:19
    Re: [ANSI] Re: [ANSI] Trump o
    By: halian to Gamgee on Fri Aug 09 2024 04:20 pm

I respectfully disagree that it's the *best* solution, on the grounds that the waste has to be dealt with for a disproportionately long time after it's generated. But it *is* a better solution than fossil fuels.

Nuclear is great because a lot of waste can be recycled for making weapons of mass destruction, which is something superpowers love, apparently.

--
    gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Neofree@VERT to Arelor on Monday, August 12, 2024 19:11:31
    By: Arelor to halian on Sun Aug 11 2024 03:27 pm

By: halian to Gamgee on Fri Aug 09 2024 04:20 pm

Nuclear is great because a lot of waste can be recycled for making weapons of mass destruction, which is something superpowers love, apparently.

--

Actually Nuclear energy is pretty clean. Unless you're as careful as the USSR when they blew up Chernobyl. But, guess what? Fusion is a reality now! Yes, it's not practical at warming 20 kettles of Tea. but it works! never before achieved. Give it time.

Every technology can be used differently.

Here are a bunch of examples that have both positive and negative uses:

Guns (what if I'm being attacked by a bear? I would want a gun then!!!), Nuclear power is a great example. But let's list things that are older:

Fire
    The Spear
    Any weapon ever made, including swords and guns. Maybe not newer tech that only has 1 purpose but mass killing, no not those.
    A rock.
    A brick.
    A plastic bag.

You get the point, well some of you won't but oh well LOL.

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Matthew Munson@VERT/IUTOPIA to ARELOR on Friday, August 16, 2024 11:24:00

Reusing the waste is better than having it stuck in a cellar for
    centuries. I thought there were methods for the waste to be used for
    more energy.

---
    þ wcQWK 8.0 ÷ Inland Utopia * iutopia.duckdns.org:2323
  • From Arelor@VERT/PALANTIR to Matthew Munson on Saturday, August 17, 2024 08:31:34
    By: Matthew Munson to ARELOR on Fri Aug 16 2024 11:24 am

more energy.

Yeah, there is a lot of talk abour regenerative nuclear reactors, which is a fancy way of saying they keep chewing through fissible material for longer, splitting the nuclear fuel into smaller atoms than usual nuclear reactors.

--

---
    þ Synchronet þ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MATTHEW MUNSON on Saturday, August 17, 2024 10:26:00

more energy.

There are. Last I heard they were still experimental but that was probably
    6 or more years ago when I heard that. "Nova" on PBS did an episode about
    the technology at that time.

* SLMR 2.1a * Psychoceramics: The study of crackpots.
    ---
  • From Matthew Munson@VERT/IUTOPIA to DUMAS WALKER on Sunday, August 18, 2024 12:13:00
    There are. Last I heard they were still experimental but that was probably 6 or more years ago when I heard that. "Nova" on PBS did an episode about the technology at that time.

Making the waste not as toxic would be a net positive.
    If we want electric vehichles, we need to have nuclear power to be
    realistic.

---
    þ wcQWK 8.0 ÷ Inland Utopia * iutopia.duckdns.org:2323
  • From Dumas Walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 to MATTHEW MUNSON on Monday, August 19, 2024 09:50:00
    There are. Last I heard they were still experimental but that was probably
    6 or more years ago when I heard that. "Nova" on PBS did an episode about the technology at that time.

Making the waste not as toxic would be a net positive.
    If we want electric vehichles, we need to have nuclear power to be
    realistic.

I agree. I am a nuclear power skeptic but the NOVA episode got me
    interested in it. If they can use up most all of the radioactivity of the plutonium to make power, that really cuts down on the danger of any waste products.

In that episode, they also covered how there are new reactor types that are more efficient and also can shut themselves down if an out-of-hand reaction
    is detected. In Fukashima (sp?) during the Tsumani, part of the problem
    was that the control room lost power and they were not able to safely shut
    down the reactors. A reactor that can shut itself down is a real plus.

* SLMR 2.1a * Shh! Be vewy qwiet! I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!
    ---